Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) has introduced a 2.5-A stepper motor driver that runs up to 30-percent cooler than the next closest competitor. The highly integrated DRV8818 features low RDS(ON) to improve thermal efficiency, reducing board and ambient temperature rises. The device improves system reliability and efficiency while maintaining high motor performance in industrial, medical and consumer applications, such as textile manufacturing, pumps, light industrial automation and printers. For more information or to place an order, visit www.ti.com/drv8818-preu.
Key features and benefits of the DRV8818
- Excellent thermal performance: Typical RDS(ON) of 150 milliohms, low-side, and 220 milliohms, high-side, improves efficiency and reduces ambient and board temperatures for improved system reliability.
- Configurable motor performance: Flexible decay modes and timing parameters reduce audible noise and vibrations to improve system stability and performance.
- Built-in microstepping: Integrated indexer simplifies current regulation, enabling full, half, quarter and one-eighth microstepping, for a smoother motion profile.
- Robust, reliable and fully protected: Advanced on-chip protection, including over-current, over-temperature, shoot-through and under-voltage lock-out increases system reliability and manufacturing yields.
- Pin-to-pin compatibility: Compatible with the existing 1.9-A DRV8811 for lower-current systems, enabling current scalability with a single common design.
Tools and support
The DRV8818EVM evaluation module is available for a suggested retail price of US$99. Features of the DRV8818EVM include:
- Pre-programmed MSP430 microcontroller for out-of-the box use.
- Advanced user interface to support acceleration, deceleration and motion profiles.
- On-board potentiometers to adjust voltage reference, decay ratio, blanking time and off time.
- Control and status signals accessible through test headers.
Package, availability and pricing
The DRV8818 motor driver is available today in a 10-mm x 6-mm HTSSOP package for a suggested retail price of US$2.25 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Learn more about TI’s motor control solutions by visiting the links below:
- Order samples of the DRV8818: www.ti.com/drv8818s-pr.
- See the full portfolio of DRV8x motor drivers: www.ti.com/drv8x-pr.
- Ask questions, help solve problems in the Motor Drivers Forum in the TI E2E Community: www.ti.com/e2emotor-pr.
- Follow the musings of our motor experts in the Motor Solutions blog in the TI E2E Community: www.ti.com/motorblog-pr.
- Check out motor drive and control selection guides, training, videos, application notes and block diagrams: www.ti.com/motor-pr.
TI spins motors
TI combines a rich history in motor drive and control, a broad portfolio of analog and microcontroller products and a comprehensive offering of tools, software and support to deliver efficient, reliable, cost-effective motor solutions. Customers can get the right solutions at the right performance level to quickly spin any motor, including AC induction (ACIM), brushed DC, brushless DC (BLDC), PMSM and stepper.