Dual LVDS transmitter enables WQXGA displays, 90-mW power extends battery life
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) has introduced a low-power, FPD-Link serializer that delivers the industry’s highest screen resolution while extending battery life in tablet computers, ebooks, laptops and portable display monitors. With the industry’s highest pixel clock rate of 185-MHz, the dual LVDS DS90C187 supports WQXGA LCD panels at 30 Hz and QXGA panels at 60 Hz. The nearest competitor only reaches 174 MHz for WUXGA screen resolution. The DS90C187 also extends battery life by consuming a mere 90-mW when supporting the 1080p WUXGA screen resolution. For more information and to order samples, visit www.ti.com/ds90c187-pr-eu.
FPD-Link is the original LVDS interface for LCD panels and is interoperable with TI’s FlatLink products. It uses three or more differential signals, plus a clock, to transmit video data to the panel. LVDS is the most widely deployed interface for mid-sized display panels and requires no software overhead, enabling faster time-to-market for production ramp. Until recently, display resolutions for tablets could get by with a single-lane LVDS interface. With increasing panel sizes and higher resolution displays, dual LVDS interfaces are proliferating.
Key features and benefits of the DS90C187
- A single 1.8-V supply rail enables ultra-low 90-mW typical power consumption when operating at WUXGA (1920 x 1200) high-definition resolution with 24-bit RGB color.
- 185-MHz pixel clock allows support of 24-bit color video resolution up to WQXGA (2560 x 1600) at 30 Hz and QXGA (2048 x 1536) at 60 Hz, enhancing the consumer’s video experience.
- A space-saving 7-mm x 7-mm dual row QFN package minimises board area and simplifies layout.
- Support for reduced-swing LVDS mitigates electromagnetic interference (EMI).
- Optional 18-bit color mode, 6 bits per pixel, further reduces power consumption and enables compatibility with lower cost panels.
The DS90C187 joins the DS90C185 single FPD-Link serializer, which consumes only 50 mW of power, supports 24-bit LCD screen resolutions up to SXGA+ (1400 x 1050) at 60 Hz, and comes in a tiny 6-mm x 6-mm package. The DS90C187 and DS90C185 provide mobile computing designers the widest array of options to choose from when selecting the graphics processor and display panel. The serializers serve as the bridge between the processor and LCD display, and can be combined with TI’s smart multicore OMAP applications processors for delivery of high-resolution video.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The DS90C187 and the DS90C185 are available now, offered in 92-pin and 48-pin QFN packages, respectively. Suggested retail pricing is $3.95 and $2.50, respectively, in 1,000-unit quantities.
Learn more about TI’s display interface portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order DS90C187 samples, IBIS models and evaluation modules: http://www.ti.com/ds90c187-pr-eu.
- Order DS90C185 samples, IBIS models and evaluation modules: www.ti.com/ds90c185-pr.
- See the display interface portfolio: www.ti.com/fpdlink-pr.
- Download the tablet/ebook brochure: www.ti.com/tablet-pr.
- View a tablet system block diagram: www.ti.com/tabletsbd-pr.
- View an ebook system block diagram: www.ti.com/ebooksbd-pr.
- Ask questions and help solve problems with fellow interface engineers in the TI E2E Community: www.ti.com/interfaceforum-pr.