Molex Incorporated announces its new ResilientFlex™ coiled assembly, which supports high speed signal transmission applications (such as SATA, SAS, etc.,) requiring flexible, expandable packaging for high-signal frequencies demanding tight impedance control and 12.0 Gbps data rates and beyond.
The ResilientFlex coiled assembly is based on leading-edge technology that enables hot-swapping connections in removable-media applications, such as hot-swapping within storage drawers. The Molex ResilientFlex coiled assembly can be implemented in both self-coiling flex circuit assembly or mechanically assisted coiling features that can extend electrical-connection lengths up to 558.80mm (22.00″) beyond the installed length.
The ResilientFlex coiled assembly can be terminated with either Molex connectors, such as backplane and board-to-board connectors, or interposers— any Z-axis compression connection that has a separable interface to the flex and PCB.
“The ResilientFlex coiled assembly is a standalone solution that requires no additional application hardware,” said Greg Kuchuris, marketing manager, Molex. “It can occupy as little as a 25.40mm (1.00″) coiled diameter and flex width, and is ideal for drawer type applications where movement is required while maintaining connectivity. Differential signaling and power can both be integrated in to the same assembly.”
The Molex ResilientFlex coiled assembly has several key features and benefits, including:
- A unique self-coiling technology design that eliminates the need for additional coiling hardware, or additional options for mechanically assisted coiling hardware customized to meet application requirements.
- Ability to connect to high-speed connectors, such as backplane and board-to-board connectors, so it supports tight impedance control and data rates of 6.0 Gbps, 12.0 Gbps, and beyond.
- A 28″ overall flat, flex length that provides up to 22” (558.80mm) connection-extension lengths.
- Termination with any Molex high-speed connector, meaning it can be used in multiple removable-media applications, hot-swapping within storage drawers.
- Termination with any interposer, regardless of the number of positions or pitch, so it provides a low-profile, 0.80mm (0.031″) pitch, low-loss connection.
The Molex ResilientFlex coiled assembly is part of the line of copper flex products—also known as flexible printed circuits—which are designed to be ultra-reliable packaging technology. They are targeted for complex, small and lightweight applications, as well as harsh environments.
“From high-speed signals to power requirements, copper flex assemblies provide solutions where standard, rigid boards or cables cannot,” said Kuchuris. “Copper flex circuit assemblies provide a consolidated approach to packaging problems, eliminating separate boards, connectors and cables. They provide a total power and signal solution in one unit at a low, total-applied cost.”